It is a challenge staying at home, but not when you have some great reading to catch up on! These are our own, cooked-fresh-from-our-SSST-Librarian, home remedies that will keep you occupied (especially if you are an SF fan). Also, see this great tips on occupying your time by visiting museums, watching documentaries, listening to concerts – all on your own screen and from your home.
And remember, stay safe – stay at home!
Condé Nast Traveler recommends the following museum exhibits, symphonies, and operas you can enjoy from home: https://www.cntraveler.com/story/all-the-museum-exhibits-symphonies-and-operas-you-can-enjoy-from-home
Met Opera is set to launch “Nightly Met Opera Streams,” a free series of encore Live in HD presentations streamed on the company website during the coronavirus closure: https://www.metopera.org/about/press-releases/met-to-launch-nightly-met-opera-streams-a-free-series-of-encore-live-in-hd-presentations-streamed-on-the-company-website-during-the-coronavirus-closure/
The Philharmonie Berlin is closed until 19 April to help contain the coronavirus. But the orchestra will continue to play for you – in the Digital Concert Hall:https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/titelgeschichten/20192020/digital-concert-hall/
If you are more of a pop-culture fan, USA Today reports that John Legend, Coldplay and more musicians are hosting virtual concerts amid coronavirus quarantines: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/03/17/coronavirus-john-legend-coldplay-play-virtual-concerts-instagram/5066024002/ while Billboard recommends the following musical treats to stream at home while you're practicing "social distancing": https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9335531/coronavirus-quarantine-music-events-online-streams
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien: the staple of the fantasy genre. It is sometimes derided as a story about elves and sorcerers for kids, but is in fact a multilayered work and a part of a wider constructed mythology. It was written by an author who lived through two world wars, and while not an allegory (a description Tolkien always denied), it is colored by those experiences.
- Dune series by Frank Herbert: one of the most influential science fiction novels of our time. Dune is characterised by three things: ecology, politics, and religion - it touches on environmental stress and terraforming efforts, revolution of colonies against imperialism, altered states of consciousness and precariousness of even highly advanced technology. It is said to be one of the main influences on Star Wars.
- Stories of Your Life and Others, by Ted Chiang: I was inspired to look up this collection after watching the movie "Arrival", the adaptation of Chiang's novella "Story of your life". The main themes of the titular story are language and determinism - If you know what's going to happen, can you keep it from happening?
- The Martian, by Andy Weir: this is what critics would define as hard science fiction, with detailed descriptions of a man's struggles to survive on Mars.
- The Three-Body Problem, by Liu Cixin: humanity has made contact with an extraterrestrial civilization that prefers the climate on our planet, so they’re coming to take Earth. It’s going to take them hundreds of years to get here, though, so we’ve got time to prepare.
- The Discworld series, by Terry Pratchett: Sir Terry is recorded saying, "Fantasy isn't just about wizards and silly wands. It's about seeing the world from new directions. And one joke in the right place can make a point that a whole serious chapter can't quite achieve." There are 41 Discworld novels: they frequently parody other famous works, as well as mythology, folklore and fairy tales, often using them for satirical parallels with cultural, political and scientific issues.
Hrasnička cesta 3a, Sarajevo, 71 000
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Entrance Exams are held at SSST, from April to September, starting at 9:00 a.m.
Tel: +387 33 975 002
Fax: +387 33 975 030
Get the manual for freshman and prepare
for SSST Entrance Exam.
SSST © 2018 All rights reserved | Made by MANIA